Sunday, May 26, 2013

FOR HEDDY’S GRAMMARIANS: Kamikaze Copy Sins vs. Proper English. It’s not a book report, it’s Ad Copy. Doreen explains why she often advocates bad grammar.

Many thanks to Heddy’s Miami Ad must-be-smart/maybe ex-English teachers who pointed out many of the Kamikaze Copy Sins aren’t cited as proper usage in the NY Times Style Book

I know.

Ad copy (web copy, brochures, yadda yadda), like much of the best modern literature, isn’t written in the language of Quirk’s Comprehensive English Grammar.  It starts there – but like everything else we do, good ad copy is targeted to the Prospect.  It’s a sad day for America, but the majority of people we write for read at fifth grade level.  They may have degrees, but I cannot tell you how many college graduates I’ve taught who needed a good remedial grammar class (not all of them from Mississippi or the Carolinas). 

These people (our Prospects) may have advanced degrees, write themselves, may know the rules.  At least enough to send a memo/email.  You’d think.  If you’re read commercial, business or personal emails lately, you know the majority of people don’t use spell check – let alone proper English.

Ad copy is many things.  Mostly, it’s conversational.  One of the reasons I spend so much time on the Prospect section of the KCWP* is the need to enter into a meaningful dialogue.  Not speak at them.  Concept, more than anything else, is how we draw them into the conversation.  Once they enter – once they start reading – it’s our job to keep them there.  To become so engaged, they remember what they read.

Unlike mystery, romance, fine lit, comic book and graphic novel fans, people don’t volunteer to read ad copy.  We have to trick them into it.  Keep them reading, almost against their own will.
 
Any excuse we give them – language elevated above the Prospect, technically correct but ad-excessive commas.  Long, complexly structured lines and paragraphs, run-on and compound sentences.  Excessive/poorly spaced implied subjects, repeating words too closely boring verbs too many descriptors - right down the Kamikaze Copy Sins list – is a direct invitation to stop reading.  (Good thing this isn’t an ad.)

Bank copy used to sound like lawyers wrote it.  Today’s most effective bank copy is casual, conversational.  Insurance companies, legal firms and investment come-ons are moving the same way.  Why?  It won’t work if the Prospect doesn’t read it, can’t understand it, doesn’t feel it.

Lest you think I’m a grammarphobe, I invite you join a Sunday morning newspaper read at Casa Doreen and Bruce.  My engineer hubby and I despair at the state of the English language, the stupidity media shows laying off proofreaders and editors.  Granted, we’re proudly word nerds.  Own several library dictionaries (my favorite, a Webster’s New International from the 30s).  It makes us – and a lot of other people – wonder how closely they check their facts (don’t get me started on Fox News, Dan Rather, even CNN).

More than once, I’ve threatened to leave North Carolina without him over the language we hear daily.  I seen it, thems policemans is ebbewar, no tense but the present, on and on – from day laborers and college grads (some with MBAs) alike.

You have to know the rules to break them.

Tellingly, most people don’t know when I’m using improper grammar.  I’ve written for markets, complex products as intellectually challenging as NYC, Chicago, Boston, banks, insurance, investment high tech luxury medical, dozens more – B2B** and B2C***.  Except for the occasional stickler who thinks they need complete sentences, even C level (CEO, CFO, COO, ECD, etc.) clients breeze through my consistently improper copy and compliment me on a job well done.
 
How do I get away with it?

Besides the fact sentence diagramming is rarely – if ever - taught (unless you count when I use it to give students a visual read on exactly how complex and clunky their lines are), the fact is I write targeted, motivational copy.  I spend so much time getting into the Prospect’s heads, hearts and lives, I use language tailored expressly for them.  Not for the client.  Not for my CD.  Not for my high school English teacher.

I know “…just lies there” is correct.  Why do I consistently use “…lays there?”  It’s what my Prospect – and just about everyone else – uses.  I guarantee using the proper form of the verb will confuse annoy alienate the reader to point they’ll stop reading.

Eliminating Kamikaze Copy Sins, as improper as many fixes may be, is how to keep your Prospect reading.  How to move them along through whatever length copy to your carefully drawn conclusion.  I’ve had MBA+ CEOs approve copy with no commas between lists of items, before ands (which I usually take out anyway, replaced by another comma - never a foreign-looking semi-colon), between modifiers.  Most don’t even notice.

Why?  Read Burr by Gore Vidal.
 
Vidal (who died earlier this Century) was an Ivy League word (and every other kind of) snob (his memoirs are titled Palimpsest – Bruce and I had to look it up – you should do the same).  His feuds – often about language and style (not to mention politics, economics, life) with Norman Mailer (Armies of the Night, The Naked and the Dead, The Executioner’s Song – read him, too) are literary legend.  Yet Vidal's the guy who gave me the courage to try the no comma trick.
 
I noticed how quickly I’d breeze through some of his lists, modifiers, etc.  How I’d pause, think, consider my way through others.  The reason?  The fast lists had no commas between items/descriptors.
 
His writing is so seemingly correct (in some cases it is - obsessively so), the historical fiction so accurate, no one I know who reads him for pleasure notices anything but how well written his work is.  (Mailer has his incorrect grammar tricks, too.  Try to find them.  So did On the Road’s Jack Kerouac, but his are far from seamless.)

The best writers are readers.  Read enough, study how it’s written, you don’t need a degree in English.  I always take my lead from authors, poets – not Grammarians or other Copywriters.  Authors and poets push the language envelope, live in the language of their characters, don’t think puns or clichés are worth writing down.

Thank you, Heddy’s budding Copywriters but I already knew.  I wish I could take credit for all the unseemly grammar I advocate.  Alas, I cannot.  More to the point, to find my improper grammar, you had to read it.
 
The Kamikaze Copy Sins aren’t about correct/incorrect.  They’re about things that slow your Prospect down, make them stop – or keep – reading.  About communicating in a Language of Concept**** that gets into their gut, says you’re one of them.  Even the most radical errors and omissions won’t be noticed as long as you know the rules, break them accordingly.  

Memorize the Kamikaze Copy Sins, kiddies.  Keep a list of your own.  When you're a Creative Director, maybe one day you'll pass them on like Heddy.

*KCWP:  Kamikaze Creative Work Plan
**B2B:  Business to Business
***B2C:  Business to Consumer
****Language of Concept:  tone, vocabulary, style chosen to carry the Concept to the Prospect.


As with all my posts, ©2013, Doreen Dvorin/Kamikaze Creative

No comments:

Post a Comment