Sunday, February 2, 2020

In which Doreen makes sense of How to Sell Your Stuff

If you've sat in on my classes, worked with or for one of my former students, you know my mantra is Prospect Centricity.

What's Prospect Centricity?  Simply stated (more info in my archives), in all things Creative, the Prospect Rules.  We work for the Prospect, build creative strategies based upon the Prospect's experience, self-image and point of view.  Concept from the Prospect's mind's eye.  Design to attract. Write to touch their gut, heart and soul. 

We are nothing if not the vehicle who connects our Prospect's life experiences, motivation triggers and desires to our client's products (have you read Sway, by Branfman and Branfman yet?).

Why should it be any different when it comes to selling our work?

Nick Cade (google him - you'll be impressed) tells me too often, the best written strategy beats out the best strategy.  What does that tell you?  Some writers know how to organize, present and write their thoughts in a way that motivates the decision makers above them.  Even if they don't have squat.

If all life is a negotiation (and it is - do we see the movie I want to see?  Or the one you want to see?  Where do we eat?  How much do I pay for the car? Can I spend the night?) - the way to get what you want is to present your desires clothed as someone else's.  In thoughts, words and deeds meant to hit someone else in a way they cannot decline.

If it works, it's because you totally grok whoever you're negotiating with.  Their wants, needs, comfort zones, boundaries, life experiences and personal motivators.

I learned long ago getting work approved, sold up the ladder and produced often had little to do with my strategic and creative abilities on the client's behalf.  It often had more to do with my ability to present in ways that spoke to the needs, hearts and desires of those who held the power of produce or go back to the drawing board.  

If you know your ACD, your CD, your GCD, your AE, your AS, your ECD, CEO and Client like you know your Prospect, you're much better equipped to get your work approved - in tact - than if you try to sell your ideas based upon merit and belief in them alone.

Sad but true.

Divorce your self worth and pride of creation from the equation.  Present to your Prospect.

I've had higher ups who only wanted work that looked and sounded like it was their idea.  To get my award-winning pieces produced, I learned to present it like it was.

I've had CDs and clients who had to change a word - or line - before they'd bless it, thus laying claim and signifying their participation in the creation of my bon motts and risk-taking ideas.  Rather than fight their will with mine, I learned to write red herrings (look it up) in just the right places so they could red pen then out, fix the typo, change the misplaced word. Thus saving my work from death by idiots, cowards and committees.

Oh but Doreen, aren't you the big ethicist?  The Above All to Thine Own Self Be True Girl?

Yup.  And that's what I did.  Fought for my work honestly and hard - just with their words, needs, egos and desires - not mine.

If I was presenting on Friday afternoon, I learned to make my pitch short, sweet and funny.  Even if the work was for funeral directors.

If I was presenting to an a$$hole, I learned to play to his/her most vulnerable spot, usually by couching things in their vernacular so it played to their hard heads, insecurities and/or blind spots.

If the room was tired, I'd liven things up.  If the client was an English Major, I'd write my presentation (rarely my copy) in complete sentences.  If my CD was a Designer or AD, I'd let that lead.

It wasn't lying, sucking up or betraying my work.  It was presenting to MY prospect - whether my Prospect was CEO, client or teammate - in a way that allowed them to appreciate, understand and for cripe's sake - MAKE IT BETTER OR LEAVE IT ALONE.

I was presenting in a way that let someone else see my idea for it was - great work that would meet the Kamikaze Creative Objective by motivating the real Prospect.  Not for what it wasn't - something that showed how smart, talented, professional, intelligent, creative I was.

We are never The Prospect, any more than our client or CD is.  Until you realize - and use all your skills to make that connection - you're going to come out of meetings hurt, angry and abused.  Or worse - over-looked, ignored and dead in the water.

Prospect Centricity.  Make it your Mantra - whether your job is motivating your client's Prospect - or your own.

NOTE:  This post is dedicated to my friend and fellow Prospect Centricity Warrior, David Baldwin.  David now preaches the gospel of Prospect Centricity with amazing work and mentorship while I meditate over breakfast in my garden here in Cuenca, Ecuador, surrounded by the Andes in my City of Dreams.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Doreen!! 6th Q Copywriter at the circus here. My email is bkim0507@ucla.edu, and I'm in the Fall 2020 class. Thanks again, and I hope Ecuador is treating you well!!!! Best, BK.

    ReplyDelete